California's Leaders in Employment Law
  |   213-550-5503
Bononi Law Group LLP

If you believe you were fired or harassed in violation of state and federal employment laws, Our Lawyers Can Help.

When does your job have to pay overtime?

On Behalf of | Dec 8, 2020 | Blog, Employment Law

Employees in the state of California are covered by certain laws that keep businesses from exploiting them. These laws cover wages, meal and break periods, overtime pay, time off and more. In particular, overtime pay is relevant to individuals who work forty hours or more in a work week. Here’s when your company has to give you overtime pay.

When does your employer have to give you overtime pay?

Employment law states that your employer must pay overtime if you work more than forty hours during the week. Overtime pay is defined as one and a half-times your regular hourly wage. While there is no limit to the hours that you’re allowed to work, it’s illegal for your employer to refuse to pay overtime if you work more than forty hours.

However, there are some exceptions. People who work in certain fields like police officers, firefighters and nurses might not be eligible for overtime pay. Additionally, certain employees are exempt from overtime pay. But overall, if you’re not an exempt employee, your employer must give you overtime pay when required by law to do so.

What if your job refuses to give you overtime pay?

If your job refuses to pay overtime, make sure you’re not an exempt employee. If not, or if your employer has incorrectly labeled you as exempt, you might want to hire an attorney to help you file a lawsuit. An attorney could help you figure out if your employer broke the law–and if it did, you might be able to hold it accountable. Your attorney may help you negotiate for compensation that covers your lost wages as well as other damages.

FindLaw Network

Why Hire Bononi Law Group?

You can choose among many California law firms when seeking an attorney for your employment law matter. Here are four reasons you should consider Bononi Law Group.