Close X
We are essential, and so are you! Our firm is still OPEN for business and accepting new clients. To protect your safety, we are offering new and current clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

What can you do about workplace sexual harassment?

Despite the fact that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits sexual harassment in the workplace, it still remains a serious problem in America. The National Conference of State Legislatures reports that the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission received over 7,500 sexual harassment claims in 2018, up 14% from 2017.

Workplace sexual harassment takes two forms: quid pro quo and hostile work environment. In its quid pro quo form, it occurs when your supervisor or someone else who has authority over you and your job demands sexual favors from you in return for such things as promoting you, giving you a good review, refraining from demoting or firing you, etc.

In its hostile work environment form, it occurs when another employee, or even a customer or vendor, targets you for such things as the following:

  • Unwelcomed sexually demeaning and/or suggestive comments
  • Unwelcomed requests for dates
  • Unwelcomed touching
  • Unwelcomed jokes or pranks
  • Unwelcomed gestures

Keep in mind that to rise to the level of hostile work environment, the unwelcomed behavior(s) must persist over time and also must negatively affect your ability to do your job.

What to do suggests you do the following if someone sexually harasses you at work:

  • Tell the person(s) to stop harassing you.
  • Report the harassment to your supervisor or someone in your company’s human resources department or on your company’s management team.
  • Keep a written record of the harassment, including who perpetrated it, when and where it occurred, its nature, any witnesses other than you who observed it, and how it made you feel.

If your employer fails to stop the harassment, talk to an attorney. (S)he likely will help you file a claim with the EEOC, which you must do prior to filing an actual lawsuit. Once the EEOC sends you a right-to-sue notice, you can file a sexual harassment lawsuit against your employer.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Why Hire Bononi Law Group?

You can choose among many California law firms when seeking an attorney for your employment law matter. Here are four reasons you should consider Bononi Law Group.

  • Experienced Experienced

    More than two decades helping employees and employers with employment law matters

  • Recognized Recognized

    Included in Southern California Super Lawyers, listed in Best Lawyers in America, and quoted in the Los Angeles Times

  • Right-Sized Right-Sized

    Small enough to give personal attention and large enough to have the resources needed for success

  • Tested Tested

    We have obtained hundreds of millions of dollars for clients through settlements and trial verdicts

  1. AVVO Rating - 10.0 Superb
  2. BBB(R) - Accerdited Business A+ Rating
  3. Weekly Reader Recommended - Best of Pasadena - 2016
  4. LACBA - Los Angeles County Bar Association
  5. Lead Counsel - LC - Rated
  6. Martindale-Hubbell - AV Preeminent - Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
  7. The National Advocates | Top 100 Lawyers
  8. Super Lawyers
  9. ABA - American Bar Association
  10. FindLaw - Bononi Law Group, LLP

Fight Back With Bononi Today! Call 866-295-7512

To learn about your legal rights and options in employment matters, talk to us. Complete the form here or give us a call.


Email Us For Quick Answers

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

visit our office/follow us

Bononi Law Group, LLP
301 North Lake Ave, Suite 820
Pasadena, CA 91101

Toll Free: 866-295-7512
Fax: 213-553-9215
Pasadena Law Office Map